top of page

Accessing Speech Language Pathology

Where is the Speech-Language Pathology (S-LP) department located?

Speech-Language pathology services are located in two locations in the central zone:


  • James Paton Memorial Regional Health Centre in Gander - on the ground floor (level one) of the hospital (main entrance is level two).

  • Central Newfoundland Regional Health Centre in Grand Falls-Windsor - on the 3rd floor of West Block (building next to the main hospital).

What to expect at the first speech-language pathology appointment?


For you:

The Speech-Language Pathologist (S-LP) will ask you about your past medical history as well as any concerns you may have about your communication and/or swallowing skills.

The S-LP will then complete an assessment that can include having you look at pictures, say certain words or phrases, eat or drink certain foods, etc.


For your child:

The Speech-Language Pathologist (S-LP) will ask about your child’s past medical and developmental history, any communication/learning concerns that may exist in your family, as well as any concerns you may have about your child’s communication and/or swallowing skills.

The S-LP will then assess your child’s communication while playing, looking at pictures, reading books, etc. It is important for both you and your child to know that coming to a S-LP is fun and you can prepare your child by talking about the “play” and “fun” to expect. 

How long will my speech-language pathology appointment last?

The average S-LP assessment appointment typically lasts an hour.


What to bring to a speech-language pathology appointment?

  • A list of your/your child’s current medications

  • Valid MCP Card


What happens after the first speech-language pathology appointment?

At the end of the appointment, the Speech-Language Pathologist (S-LP) will discuss the findings and whether or not further follow-up is necessary. If services are recommended, the plan may include therapy (wait times vary), information, suggestions and therapy materials, and/or referrals to other professionals. There will be time for you to ask questions to make sure you understand the information.

Who to contact if you have specific questions?

If you have any questions about communication/swallowing, speech-language pathology or your appointment please contact:

  • James Paton Memorial Regional Health Centre, Gander:  709-256-5458

  • Central Newfoundland regional Health Centre, GFW:  709-292-2169


What do speech-language pathologists do?

Speech-Language Pathologists provide assessment, treatment, and consultation for communication and swallowing/feeding disorders in young children and adults. Our staff work in acute care, long term care, and outpatient clinics within the central zone.

Am I eligible for speech-language pathology services?

​To be eligible for our services, you must live within Central Health’s catchment area, found here. School aged children are followed by the speech and language department with the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District and are not eligible for our services. All preschool aged children and adults who have concerns are eligible for an assessment.

Who can make a referral?

Referrals are accepted from any member of the healthcare team, family, or the individual. The information on this page can help to determine if a referral to the speech and language pathology services would be recommended. If you would like to make a referral click on the link below or call: 709-256-5458 for our Gander clinic or 709-292-2169 for our Grand Falls-Windsor clinic.

chat with HCW.png
Child and SPL play puppets.png
bottom of page